Monday, June 29, 2009

Children are My Future


Because tonight is free expression, I want to blog about the plenty of babies being born now. I just found out another one of my friends is pregnant. I mean, I guess it's around that average time for us to be having kids. We are all around 21-22 years old. I guess that's pretty average, considering the number of teenage pregnancies these days. I swear, it seems like for my 20 year high school reunion I could call any one of the girls I went to school with and ask their kids to watch mines. I would like to be in a position where I can plan to have a baby instead of plan around having one. But, I'm scared that the time will come where my plans just don't include time aside for the process of having a baby. I guess that's why adoption was invented.
Here's why I talk about this. Growing up, as children we were told that we are the future, the people who can make changes in the world. Where I come from, or the community rather, we aren't making much change. Just adding to the world. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of people I know that are trying to make something of themselves to serve this world and the people in it. However, I know more who are just going through the motions of life.
Now, for those of us who are trying to make a difference in the world with a chosen career choice, we are learning to be able to one day teach the next generation. When I chose journalism, I thought what could I do to make a difference. And this class really helps. It opened my eyes to see outside of what is being shown to me, and gives me tools to reconstruct what is shown, and one day I will have the ability to have a say in what will be shown and how it shall be shown. And, I can apply this to my life, not just my job.
So, to the next generation, like my lovely niece you see, I will teach her how to see the world, and the people in it, without applying the stereotypes or prejudices she may learn in the world. I can tell her to form interpersonal relationships with those different from her to form her own opinions of people. I will teach her how to be considerate and respectful of those different from her, rather than hold on to those stereotypes as real. And then she can share the information with her peers. And let the cycle continue. So maybe there will be a change in humanity before I leave this earth.

1 comment:

  1. Life is pretty hard, so I think going through the motions for some people is a challenge in and of itself. Take for example, people who struggle everyday to the point where they just want to see a regular, mundane, uneventful and safe day. It gets that rough.

    It's a good message to send to the little ones that making a difference comes from stepping out of the motions, which happens by getting an education. I know that's what I'll be telling my little baby nephew.

    ReplyDelete