Monday, June 8, 2009

First Day in RGM

Thankfully, I just passed an anthropology class that taught ways to think outside of the box. One of the popular topics in that class was the idea of race, and whether it concretely exists. What I came up with is no. Race is more of the cultural identity one relates with to be excepted/rejected within a society. A control to the theory of race could be the example of a light skin (light complexion- similar to white skin color) African person, and albino people. I read up on it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color Biologically, and in my opinion, race does not exist. However, culturally, race is very prevalant in society. Last year, I did a project over over racial sterotypes called First Impressions at http://kriot08.wordpress.com/. I am excited to hopefully discuss the connection between race and the media, and the influence the media has on race and racial activities. Also, I am eager to discuss the topic of gender in the media, and the role it has on perceptions of gender roles. Case in point, this last presidential election. Man am I lucky to have lived, and been a part of, this election. It was also a big deal for the media as well. This class seems, so far, to be a very useful and fun class. It already has me stepping outside of my box. I never thought I would blog or twitter (mainly because I never really grasped the idea of twitter). I don't, and never had a myspace page or facebook, but after all this blogging, and all these sites I have to keep up with and update, I think I may just break down and sign up. I like the structure of reading the reading material, discussing the material in class, then blogging about it. I feel like it helps the learning process because we can express what we learned in our own words, and the feedback we receive can aid in the learning. I like it a bit better than reciting facts verbatim. I wonder which aspect the class discussions will focus on more-race or gender. The idea of race and racism, because personally, racism is the base or foundation behind the idea of race, is a very easy, controversial topic to talk about for hours and hours. See, I turn back to the conversation of race in this blog. My "race" also enables me to be a bit more educated through experience, and therefore more interested in talking about it. On top of that, in a comedy skit, I heard someone state that the female gender is the minority gender. This world of heirarchy and status is so complex. So, being that I am every minority thought of, this class is like a dream class, in such a way that I get to learn why or where certain ideas, like the stereotypes we discussed today, come from, and possible ways to report fairly and nicely. I mainly just really like the subject matter.

4 comments:

  1. When we talk about race, we should talk about power, and class and social capital, but we don't have the time to really understand. So we open the door enough to get students interested and to step out of the box. I find that when I step out and I am unencumbered, I tend to stay out. At the end of class we can compare and see if it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took also took an anthropology class last semester that really opened up my eyes to sterotypes that are absolutly false. It also opened up the discussion and really took me out of my comfort zone in talking about race. Just like you I am interested in where the discussion will go when we get to gender, especially in the media. I agree with you 100% that just like it said in our reading that biologically race does not exist however it was formed culturally. I look forward to the rest of this class getting to open up the discussion and debate different views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your take on race being formed by culture. It seems that in today's society, race is the determining factor with acceptance towards other people. Although, remember there are alternative views to consider. As a Christian, the Bible tells us about the Tower of Babel, and that race was created by God to stop man's journey to try and reach heaven. Whether this is literal or not, it is still something that I consider. Like Mr. Hight said today, there are many types of diversity, and I believe this class will help us look at all of them.

    And just something to consider: Be careful when using Wikipedia, because it can be changed or altered by nearly anyone. Many professors don't use it because of that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use wikis in class that are developed by students.

    ReplyDelete