Friday, July 3, 2009

Open Your Eyes


This class was certainly a difficult class to take part in. I think some people were a bit cautious of what to say, if to say anything, so they don't seem racist or prejudice or naive about what the subject of the day was. This class helped open my eyes to information I would not have thought to link together, like how the media helps a vast majority of the population to hold on to stereotypes of different groups. Or, how there isn't much change in society because of the people in power. And how diversity and understanding its importance is key to starting a change in humanity, or at least the breakdown of stereotypes. Believe it or not, there are still people who don't even think about diversity and its benefits.
I also enjoyed the video over Disney. Very eye opening. It just shows the power the media holds over thoughts people form in the world. I didn't pay that much attention to what the people in the video were saying about the movies and characters of Disney, but I certainly see where they are coming from. I also think half of it is the parents and what they want to expose their child to. My mom would ask us if we liked the movie afterward, and we would talk about it, and I'll admit, I didn't really understand too much what was going on, I just knew to do what my mom said do. Funny story, when I found out that the name Lucifer is another name for the devil, I went home crying then threw my Cinderella movie away because the cat's name in the movie is Lucifer, and I thought that was the devil trying to get into my house. I ripped the tape up!
The class also opened my eyes to suggestions about how to start to make a difference within the media world. I definitely want to work in a highly diverse atmosphere now. And I am broadening my friend list to those very different from me. That will not only help me with being more informed about different communities and cultures, but will help me in my reporting. Before this class, I didn't think of that as the answer.
I also never noticed how some minority groups were almost completely ignored by the media. Now when I'm looking at television, I look for commercials and shows with Native Americans, for example, and I find myself going through about 2 hours and not seeing one.
This class was very beneficial to my future goals in my career as well as my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment